[music-dsp] How to tune digital waveguides?
DIY DSP
2018-06-21 21:37:10 UTC
Hello all, it's been a long time!
I'm trying to learn how to tune digital waveguides.
Specifically, I would like to target a frequency range and reverb duration.  Then, I would like to add variations within that range for hot-spot resonances and dead-zones.

Is there some software than can aid this?  Ideally I would like to construct the architecture of the waveguide in one window, see the response in time and frequency in another window, have a bunch of sliders in another window to adjust it as well as run live audio and samples through it to audition.  I understand that may be like asking for the sun, moon and stars.  But if it's out there somewhere, I would like to know!
Thank you!

DIYDSP.com is Noah's website for designing, building and playing digital music instruments

BuildInstruments.com is for digital instrument kits, parts and books

DSP.Guitars is for instruments I build
robert bristow-johnson
2018-06-21 23:11:42 UTC

Subject: [music-dsp] How to tune digital waveguides?

From: "DIY DSP" <***@yahoo.com>

Date: Thu, June 21, 2018 5:37 pm

To: "music-***@music.columbia.edu" <music-***@music.columbia.edu>

Post by DIY DSP
Hello all, it's been a long time!
I'm trying to learn how to tune digital waveguides.
do you need an accurate fractional-sample-precision delay?  that's how you tune a comb filter to a specific note.
Post by DIY DSP
Thank you!
DIYDSP.com is Noah's website for designing, building and playing digital music instruments
BuildInstruments.com is for digital instrument kits, parts and books
DSP.Guitars is for instruments I build_______________________________________________

http://dsp.guitars/ is a URL???   ".guitars" is a Top Level Domain??  when did that happen?

and you have the dsp.guitars domain?
fuck, man!

just for shits and grins, i typed in "http://gibson.guitars/" and it's available for sale for US$195.  maybe someone should buy it and hold it hostage for the Gibson corp.  (not very
nice.)

--

r b-j                         ***@audioimagination.com

Sound of L.A. Music and Audio
2018-06-22 16:21:04 UTC
Post by robert bristow-johnson
do you need an accurate fractional-sample-precision delay?  that's how
you tune a comb filter to a specific note.
How would you achieve a sub sample delay just in software without a
filter? And consequently when using such a filter, why not performing
the tuning directly therewith?

Which ciruit / dataflow do you see where such a combination works
effectively?

Well we now about the issue when working with dedicated chips having a
fixed comb filter included where such "pre processing" is requiered.