[music-dsp] WAV player instrument recommendation
Dave Carpenter
2018-06-14 16:05:10 UTC
Can anyone recommend some simple software available that would allow me to
attach a MIDI keyboard controller to my Windows PC and play individual .wav
files that I provide for each note? Like C4.wav, C#4.wav, D4.wav, D#4.wav,
etc or similar. I'm thinking of virtual instrument, VST, or similar, but it
doesn't have to be. I need the player to instantly recognize updated .wav
files. They will be generated by my external program. I need to be able to
tweak some parameters, re-generate the .wav files, and play and hear the
results quickly without having to go through a lot of extra steps for each
revision. This is the requirement that makes it hard to find a solution.
Thanks for your ideas. --Dave
Giulio Moro

Scott Gravenhorst
2018-06-14 18:09:02 UTC
Hi Dave,

This is certainly possible, and I'm not really into VST, but I'm not aware of one that
works precisely that way.

Probably not what you want to hear, but if I wanted this, I'd write it myself...
Post by Dave Carpenter
Can anyone recommend some simple software available that would allow me to
attach a MIDI keyboard controller to my Windows PC and play individual .wav
files that I provide for each note? Like C4.wav, C#4.wav, D4.wav, D#4.wav,
etc or similar. I'm thinking of virtual instrument, VST, or similar, but it
doesn't have to be. I need the player to instantly recognize updated .wav
files. They will be generated by my external program. I need to be able to
tweak some parameters, re-generate the .wav files, and play and hear the
results quickly without having to go through a lot of extra steps for each
revision. This is the requirement that makes it hard to find a solution.
Thanks for your ideas. --Dave
-- ScottG
-- Scott Gravenhorst
-- http://scott.joviansynth.com/
-- Matt 21:22
Jacob Penn
2018-06-14 18:16:58 UTC
If you look into a sampler which has the option to do DFD or direct from
disk streaming, then it might do what you’re looking for.

Not sure of the safety of editing a file which is being used for DFD
though.. You’ll have to give it a shot!

Good luck,

[image: insignia] <http://jakemumu.github.io/>
JACOB PENN.MUMUKSHU <http://jakemumu.github.io/>
612.388.5992

-- Matt 21:22
Caliban Darklock
2018-06-14 20:03:49 UTC
Every software sampler I know of caches the samples in memory and won't
recognise on-disk changes. There's no reason you couldn't register interest
in file changes and reload when they're detected, though, so one could
certainly be written - and if you could find an open source sampler VST it
shouldn't be too difficult to hack in this functionality.
Jacob Penn
2018-06-14 20:06:50 UTC
https://www.adsrsounds.com/kontakt-tutorials/how-to-use-and-optimize-kontakt-dfd/

Kevin Chi