[music-dsp] Book: The Art of VA Filter Design 2.0.0alpha
Vadim Zavalishin
2018-06-11 08:31:51 UTC
Hi everyone!

As usual, I'm duplicating here the announcement on KVR, since (I assume)
not everyone from this list is also present there.

The Art of VA Filter Design has been updated to 2.0.0alpha. Freely
available at this link:
https://www.native-instruments.com/fileadmin/ni_media/downloads/pdf/VAFilterDesign_2.0.0a.pdf

Major highlights compared to the previous release:

- different presentation of Sallen-Key filters
- 8-pole ladders
- detailed discussion of nonlinearities
- "Butterworth filters of the 2nd kind"
- different presentation of shelving filters, high-order generalized
Butterworth and elliptic shelving
- generalized Linkwitz-Riley crossovers
- lots of theoretical stuff
- last but not least: a neat formula for the frequency shifter's poles

The book is a mixture of new research, common knowledge (presented from
the POV of the author) and reinventing the wheel. I would be thankful
for pointers to previous research, which I might not be aware of.

Some of the new material is used in the soon to be released Reaktor Core
macro library update, so it can be tried out (and looked into) directly
there.

The book is in the "alpha" state, some of the material had only surface
checking and to an extent is a bit of a "work in progress".

Best regards,
Vadim
--
Vadim Zavalishin
Reaktor Application Architect

www.native-instruments.com
Scott Gravenhorst
2018-06-11 12:33:22 UTC
Thank you so much for making this available. In fact, I'm currently involved in a project that
needs this exact kind of information.

-- ScottG
Post by Vadim Zavalishin
[...]
-- Scott Gravenhorst
-- http://scott.joviansynth.com/
-- Matt 21:22
p***@synth.net

Matt Jackson
2018-06-18 09:25:26 UTC
If you are in Berlin,

Vadim is also speaking tonight about DSP in Reaktor here:

SRH Hochschule der populÀren KÌnste (hdpk)
Potsdamer Straße 188
Lounge, 6th floor
10783 Berlin
Deutschland

I’d love to meet anyone on the list there. I look roughly like this if you want to say hi:
[cid:6E99FF78-7919-4CB4-BE91-***@office.ableton.com]

Matt

Mike Janney
2018-06-18 09:26:57 UTC
Looking forward to reading this in detail..!
Mike / audiorealism

Skickat från min iPhone
2018-06-20 22:55:59 UTC
Post by Vadim Zavalishin
Hi everyone!
As usual, I'm duplicating here the announcement on KVR, since (I assume)
not everyone from this list is also present there.
The Art of VA Filter Design has been updated to 2.0.0alpha. Freely
Thank you for this work! May I make a suggestion—do not use an acronym in the title. This might not be obscure to you but it might be obscure to someone who would otherwise benefit from your book.
Jerry
Vadim Zavalishin
2018-06-21 09:00:12 UTC
Post by l***@icloud.com
Thank you for this work!
You're welcome!
Post by l***@icloud.com
May I make a suggestion—do not use an acronym in the title. This
might not be obscure to you but it might be obscure to someone who
would otherwise benefit from your book.
This might be a good idea, although, on the other hand, changing the
title, under which the book is already known, might be not necessarily
the best thing to do. I'll give it a thought though, thanks!

Regards,
Vadim