[music-dsp] WSOLA on Real Time
Alex Dashevski
2018-07-24 06:18:49 UTC
Hi.

I'm looking for a simple explanation and implementation of WSOLA. I tried
to google it but I can't understand all meaning of inputs and outputs that
WSOLA has.
My goal is to implement it in Real time on Android. Possibly, to use pitch
shifting in Real Time.

Thanks,
Alex
Alex Dashevski
Alex
r***@web.de
2018-07-26 00:22:51 UTC
Alex Dashevski
2018-07-27 10:47:32 UTC
All materials and code that I found on google and GitHub have not real time
implementation(that means, signal is known in advance)
I understand that in this case, I need to do resampling before and after.

Thanks,
Alex
Not everbody reads mails every day so it might be an idea to wait for
replies before pushing.
I am not an expert on this subject but my company is so I would put it
1) To my mind, there is no simpler explanation than given in the Wiki. At
least this is an entrypoint to start reading. More comprehensive material
can be found in several DSP literature but they might not be easy since the
subject is not easy.
2) There is not only on "WSOLA" implementation. It is all about details
and requirements. What in detail do you want to do?
3) Even, if people have code ready fpr your app, they cannot give it way
that easily because it might be covered by their company. Me i am not allow
to post code at all.
I suggest you search the github projects for code coming close to your
needs?
Rolf
Martin Klang
2018-07-27 14:37:42 UTC
It helps if you let us know a) what you've tried and researched already,
b) what you plan to use it for, and c) why you think WSOLA is the right
solution.

WSOLA doesn't have a 'simple explanation and implementation', but if
what you want is just some code that does the job and lets you worry
about other things then how about:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/37386410/realtime-pitch-shifting-using-tarsosdsp-on-android

And since you've already asked this question on the TarsosDSP forum I'm
surprised you've not seen that.

Oh look, here's a time stretch example:
https://github.com/JorenSix/TarsosDSP/blob/master/src/examples/be/tarsos/dsp/example/TimeStretch.java

best,

Martin let-me-google-that-for-you Klang
Hi,
Alex Dashevski
2018-07-27 14:50:01 UTC

a) I tried to understand the tarsosdsp code and read the theory about
WSOLA. The formulas difficult to understand.
b) My goal is change frequency the input of audio of android.
c) What is your right solution ?

Thanks,
Alex
Martin Klang
2018-07-27 15:32:27 UTC
There are many ways to do real time pitch shift, which one is right for
you will depend on things like
- what flaws and artifacts you consider acceptable
- your use constraints: pitch shift range, granularity et c
- processor and memory constraints
- the engineering skills and capacity that you have at your disposal

There's a nice review of some fairly advanced techniques, including
WSOLA, here:
http://www.mdpi.com/2076-3417/6/2/57/pdf

It's a complex problem, so be prepared for complex solutions!

Martin
Post by Alex Dashevski
Hi,
[...]
Hi,
robert bristow-johnson
2018-07-27 20:16:17 UTC
Alex,
may i ask you where you are regarding development on the android?  you're coding in C++ or C (or is it C# or something)?
are you at a place where you can make a simple "passthru" app where you can input samples from the ADC and output them to the DAC?  if you
are there, can you make a simple delay line (you will need to do modulo arithmetic on the array indices, which is why i recommend making these delay line buffers a power of 2 in length and using the "&" operator to mask off bits, which might be more efficient than the "%"
operator)?  have you done other things like a simple biquad filter or an FIR?
because, to do this correctly, you will need to code up something like a pitch detector to implement the "WS" part of the algorithm.  it can be done, crudely, with maybe 20 or 30 lines of code,
but that's where some things get difficult.  then you will have to implement a *sliding* delay on the previously mentioned delay buffer.
if you're willing to publish the end-result code here or at Stack Exchange or some other public domain, i am willing to help you do this.
if it's
for profit, then we would have to talk about it directly and privately.
bestest,

--

r b-j                         ***@audioimagination.com

Subject: Re: [music-dsp] WSOLA on Real Time

From: "Alex Dashevski" <***@gmail.com>

Date: Fri, July 27, 2018 10:50 am

To: music-***@music.columbia.edu

***@pingdynasty.com

Hi,

Alex Dashevski
2018-07-27 21:02:22 UTC
Hi.

It's for school project. My project is based on open source code from
google examples:
https://github.com/googlesamples/android-ndk/tree/master/audio-echo
I need to add to this code the WSOLA. That means, implement Filters, and
algorithm. I have already filter but I am not sure if it's good.
I understood that I also need to do resampling for real time because of
detection a pitch.
I also can use pitch shifting but I can't understand if it instead of using
the WSOLA ?

robert bristow-johnson
2018-07-28 01:16:33 UTC

so i want to get this straight.  1. you're coding in C or something that looks like C.  2. you have a utility to get samples from the ADC and to put samples to the DAC.

might a passthru app have this for the sample processing loop?:

 while(TRUE)
   {

   float x = getsample();

   float y = x;                             // a wire

   putsample(y);

   }

do you have something like that to pass samples through and you can hear the output?  and you've implemented a filter inside of that context (instead of the line of code that is "a wire")?
r b-j

From: "Alex Dashevski" <***@gmail.com>

Date: Fri, July 27, 2018 5:02 pm

To: "robert bristow-johnson" <***@audioimagination.com>

music-***@music.columbia.edu

Alex Dashevski
*Gesendet:* Mittwoch, 25. Juli 2018 um 20:41 Uhr
Hi,
Could you help ?
Post by Alex Dashevski
Post by Martin Klang
Post by Alex Dashevski
that WSOLA has.
My goal is to implement it in Real time on Android. Possibly, to
use
Post by Alex Dashevski
Post by Alex Dashevski
Post by Martin Klang